ICELAND

Iceland is not the place one would run to in summer as the name in itself says its cold. In the last ten years though, it has seen a boom in tourism because it has a unique landscape. My visit there was way back in 1991 during the summer, which then had an average day temperature of 12 degrees. With climate change, it might be different now.  

Iceland is a country you visit, either to see friends, or because the unique landscape attracts you.  As the majority of the island is of volcanic rock, one of the most astounding features is its lack of trees, and like the desert, there is great beauty in that emptiness. Instead you'll witness bubbling earth surfaces where natural geysers of hot water explode every few minutes, vast open spaces and ice mountainous scenery with delicate blue and pure white huge slabs of ice floating in icy water.  The Vatnajökull national park is big and is a few hours drive from Reykjavik  if you are travelling by car. Here below a professional photograph from the Icelandic tourist board with beautiful water reflections on a clear day, and thereunder a few of my very old ones.
Walking around the waters edge is like walking on glass as the ice crackles underneath your feet and you can peer down ice cave walls in the huge cracks of massive "rocks" of ice.  Driving through the countryside there are different landscapes. As I mentioned, you'll notice there are few to no trees.

A lone petrol station

Iceland is famous for its horses and I have a friend who breeds them and takes them on shows around Europe. He went with his family and friends on a riding safari this summer. Now, I didn't horse ride there but I can imagine this is the best way to view the scenery!  Absolute beauties these animals. The backdrop of the moss covered rock mountains is also stunning. Thanks to Saevaer and Hildur for these photos.




The Icelandic people I know and have met are friendly, down to earth and carry no airs. They're proud of their country, travel frequently and somehow manage to survive what must be the longest, darkest winters on the planet. They also experience those mysterious green northern lights. With thanks to https://www.northernlightsiceland.com/the-best-time-to-see-the-northern-lights-in-iceland-2/ for the photo. 
Some Icelanders brew alcohol at home as it is expensive and I presume, like the Russians, it keeps them warm during freezing cold winters. They eat a lot of fish and their delicacy is dried fish, to be eaten like healthy crisps.  Shark is a local delicacy and fishing is a popular sport. I was quite aghast when in 1991, during our fishing trip I caught, not only four fish but also an eel, which pulled wildly on the reel and hook. I dropped it is worried haste to leave it to my male  companions to handle, who by the way, didn't catch anything but were happy with my eel. They prepared and skinned it at home.



Reyjavik in 1991 was a quaint little city, clean and bright in summer with pretty purple sunsets and a few small church steeples rising out above the low rise buildings. I can imagine now though that is has developed somewhat and is more vibrant than before. Personally, I thought the most beautiful sight in Iceland in the national park, quite close to Reyjavik, through a sculptured landscape of smooth moss covered rolling hills and a gorge. It was a rainy afternoon and we spotted 12 rainbows, one after the other. Alas, I have no pictures, but the  mental image and memory  is fresh because it was so impressionable. Here below, a 26 year old  picture of that park. 

It seems I will have to return on a photo safari to update my photograph library as the waterfalls, and natural bubbling geysers are barely viewable on my old shots. So instead, a you-tube video well worth watching! A natural geyser from the cooking earth which erupts 15-20m high every 4-6 minutes. Quite spectacular!

Strokkur Geyser in The Golden Circle

It's never possible to see everything when visiting a country and so I did not get to see the natural spa and Blue Lagoon. But that is always what makes visiting a country twice worthwhile. So the real Blue Lagoon (not the movie) will be the first thing on my list when I return. With thanks to www.debongo.com for the photo of what I can imagine is a heavenly place to wind-down.
 The Blue Lagoon
So, after this short blog, perhaps you're no longer wondering why anyone would want to visit Iceland, and are already looking at flight details. I hope so, because it's a unique place on this phenomenal earth that you don't want to miss! Bon voyage....

Comments